The Citizens Action Group is currently focused on the following initial causes. The Citizens Action Group is planning to establish and continue dialogue with the New Jersey Department of Transportation, The New Jersey State Police and the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders. Our goal is the protection of all Farmingdale citizens. Especially our children.
Speeding and Distracted Driving in Farmingdale
The current issue with speeding and distracted driving in Farmingdale is a cause for action.
- Speeding causes a great danger to our children and the lives of all Farmingdale citizens
- Children – Many families in Farmingdale have small children and their safety is all of our responsibility.
- Students – There is no busing in Farmingdale. Our students either get a ride to school, ride their bike or walk.
- Older Citizens – Older citizens require additional time when crossing our streets.
- Most drivers coming through Farmingdale are aware our town has no police department. No radar. No speed traps.
- Many drivers have been seen using their mobile phones while driving in Farmingdale.
- This year for safety reasons, The Mayor and Council along with the School Board had to revamp the way our students walk to school.
- Speed limit issue coming into Farmingdale from Howell on Squakum Road. The speed limit goes from 45mph to 25mph in less than 100 feet and in the other direction goes from 25mph to 45mph.
Commercial Truck Traffic in Farmingdale
The current issue with commercial truck traffic driving in Farmingdale is a cause for action.
- Many of the over-sized commercial trucks with no local business in Farmingdale, use Main Street and Colts Neck Road when they should be using Route #33 and Route #34.
- Commercial trucks cut through Farmingdale putting our children’s and citizens lives in danger.
- Citizens – Many citizens are over the age of 60 and require additional time when crossing our streets and roads
- Students – There is no busing in Farmingdale. Our students have to either get a ride to school, ride their bike or walk.
- Children – Many new families in Farmingdale have small children and their safety is always our responsibility.
- Even though it is against the law, many commercial truck drivers have been seen using their mobile phones while driving in Farmingdale. (See the penalties for a CDL driver using a mobile phone)
- Commercial trucks often try avoiding NJSP Commercial Vehicle Inspections. Since Farmingdale has nowhere to conduct these inspections, many commercial trucks with safety violations use Farmingdale for this reason.
- Commercial trucks carry more weight, are bigger and more dangerous than ever. They no longer safely fit on our streets.
Farmingdale. What's in a name?
The current issue with home and businesses not located Farmingdale but use the Farmingdale name is a cause for action.
- Homes and businesses not located in Farmingdale use the town’s name giving an inaccurate Farmingdale depiction.
- Many of these business with commercial trucks have been seen not complying with local safety laws giving our town a bad name.
- Homes not within Farmingdale, with Farmingdale addresses skew the Census when data is collected based on zip code.
- The reason this is allowed due to the postal routes is old enough to vote. Really, this argument can no longer be made in the year 2020.